I finished my 6 dolls and got them to our ASG liaison who got them to the Honduras. Here are the 83 dolls before she stuffed them into a box to go in the mail:
If you feel like playing "Where's Waldo," you can correlate the fabrics from my last post with the six dolls in this picture. Or you can just wait until I get around to uploading the pictures of my dolls from the camera. (Punkin helped to arrange these for the picture.)
Now for the details, before I forget. I used Punkin's knitting machine to knit some acryl-ICK yarn, some brown, some black. Then I soaked it in a bowl, squished out the water and threw it in the dryer with some towels or something. Then it sat for a few days. I'm sure that's integral to the procedure.
For the boys: I cut a strip of cardboard that was twice as wide as I wanted the hair to be long (Why, yes, that is an Orville Redenbacher popcorn box from Costco--why do you ask?). Then I wrapped the hair gently around the cardboard and zigzagged down the middle of it. Then I cut it at each wrap. It was a little unruly, but I sewed this strip onto the top of the head by hand. I like how it turned out.
For the girls: I used my 11 x 17 rotary cutting mat and gently wrapped the hair around the shorter way. Then I cut it only once. This should make hair that's 20" or so long. I grabbed a generous hank of it and braided it, fastening it off with some sort of matching ribbon. Then I sewed it to the top of the head by hand. On at least 1 or 2 of them ( I think all 3--picture as proof), I used some of the leftover hair from the boys to make bangs for the girls. Cute!
Someone else had used brown corduroy for the back of the head. Sweet idea! It looked really good, like there was hair, but without having to make it.
I enjoyed the creativity of making the dolls, and the idea that I had nearly all the makings in my home was cool, but disturbing. I was glad to be able to put stuff together that I already had, but was taken aback when I realized that making 6 dolls had not made a dent in my considerable holdings. In fact, I may have ended up with more than I started with, because I finished off a bag of stuffing and had to buy another! Anyway, a good project that got me into the sewing room, and benefited someone else.
Pictures to come. And now they're here!